Have you ever thought about running for public office? Do you wonder what it would be like to serve as a legislator? If you have political aspirations, but want to know more about what being a legislator means and how to be effective in that role, you should apply to UBC’s Summer Institute for Future Legislators. The Institute provides intensive hands-on mentoring and training for anyone who seeks the practical experience and knowledge to be able to make a difference—whether at the local, provincial, or federal level.
Former elected representatives from across the political spectrum share their expertise with participants. Veteran political journalists advise participants on media and communications. Academic experts provide instruction and resources.
Apply now! Apply online Vancouver program. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and seats are limited.
Past practitioners include: Preston Manning, Joy MacPhail, Anne McLellan, Bob Rae, Larry Campbell, Dawn Black, Chuck Strahl, George Abbott, Mike Harcourt, Margaret MacDiarmid, & many others.
- Legislatures & Legislative Life
- Parliamentary Relationships
- The Ethical Politician
- Working in the House
- Constituency Service
- Parliamentary Reform
Vancouver program: July 16th & 17th, August 6th & 7th, August 20th & 21st (parliamentary simulation in Victoria). Apply to the Vancouver program.
Program fee*: $1200 CAD
Apply for a scholarship! Thanks to generous funding by the Vancouver Foundation, a limited number of scholarships are available for the Summer Institute. Simply indicate funding need when completing the online application.
*Information for current undergraduate students wishing to register for POLI 308b to receive course credit:
(1) Indicate on the online application that you wish to register for POLI 308b (seats are limited).
(2) The program fee is $600 CAD, in addition to standard tuition fees for a 3-credit course.
(3) POLI 308b includes four seminar dates (in addition to the Summer Institute weekend workshops); these dates are: July 8, 15, 22nd, and August 5th, from 10am-noon in Buchanan C403. (Dates are subject to change depending on students’ availability.)
(4) See last year’s syllabus for Poli 308b.
Want to know more?
Hear from participants of the pilot program in 2013.
Watch our 2013 and 2014 short video teasers.
More info page.
Questions? Contact CSDI:
Rebecca Monnerat, Project Manager
Centre for the Study of Democratic Institutions
University of British Columbia
email@example.com Tel. 604-827-4390