Have you ever thought about running for public office? Do you wonder what it would be like to serve as a legislator? If you have political aspirations, but want to know more about what being a legislator means and how to be effective in that role, you should apply to UBC’s Summer Institute for Future Legislators. The Institute provides intensive hands-on mentoring and training for anyone who seeks the practical experience and knowledge to be able to make a difference—whether at the local, provincial, or federal level.
Former elected representatives from across the political spectrum share their expertise with participants. Veteran political journalists advise participants on media and communications. Academic experts provide instruction and resources.
Here’s a brief video overview of what the program provides (5min):
Past practitioners include: George Abbott, Dawn Black, Larry Campbell, Ujjal Dosanjh, Mike Harcourt, Joy MacPhail, Preston Manning, Anne McLellan, Chuck Strahl, Carole Taylor & many others.
- Legislatures & Legislative Life
- Parliamentary Relationships
- The Ethical Politician
- Working in the House
- Constituency Service
- Parliamentary Reform
July 15th & 16th; July 29th & 30th (workshops held at UBC Point Grey Campus)
August 11th-14th (parliamentary simulation held in Victoria B.C)
Program fee*: $1200 CAD
Apply for a scholarship! Thanks to generous funding by the Vancouver Foundation, a limited number of scholarships are available for the Summer Institute. Simply indicate funding need when completing the online application.
*Information for current undergraduate students wishing to register for POLI 308b to receive course credit:
(1) Indicate on the online application that you wish to register for POLI 308b (seats are limited).
(2) The program fee is $600 CAD, in addition to standard tuition fees for a 3-credit course.
(3) POLI 308b includes four seminar dates (in addition to the Summer Institute weekend workshops); these dates are: July 14th, 21st, 28th, August 4th, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in Buch C403 seminar room.
(4) See past syllabus for Poli 308b.
Want to know more?
Hear from participants of the pilot program in 2013.
Watch our 2013 and 2014 short video teasers.
More info page.
Questions? Contact CSDI:
Rebecca Monnerat, Project Manager
Centre for the Study of Democratic Institutions
University of British Columbia
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 604-827-4390